Famous Like Me > Singer > A > Christopher Atkins
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Christopher Atkins
on Famous Like Me
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||21st February 1961
|Place of Birth:
||Rye, New York, USA
Christopher Atkins (born Christopher Bowman on February 21, 1961 in Rye, New York) is an American actor and was a popular teen idol. Straight out of Denison University, Atkins is best known for his film debut as Richard Lestrange in the blockbuster/remake The Blue Lagoon (1980). He went on to star in The Pirate Movie (1982), an update of Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta The Pirates of Penzance. He hit #71 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart with the song "How Can I Live Without Her.", which appeared in The Pirate Movie. It had a big following and became a cult classic. Atkins continues to act in films, and is currently in Australia shooting his reality TV show (A Sports Fishing Show). He and his wife, Lynne Barron, have two children: Grant (b. 1986) and Brittney (b. 1987). He owns his outdoor sports company and has patented his own fishing lure.
Teen idol and sex symbol
Renowned for his cute, boy next door looks, Chris created a buzz among girls (of all ages) who loved to see him on screen. Diversely talented and the very sporty Atkins did not disappoint his lady fans, and was shirtless in almost all his movies and television appearances.
Chris is natural blond and desperately tried to move on from his Blue Lagoon image and did not want to be typecasted. He returned to his natural straight hair, which enhanced his looks from a scruffy young guy to a handsome, athletic, muscular young man.
Chris has been the cover boy of innumerable teen magazines and has appeared in several television commercials representing big brand names such as Coke and Adidas, all of which utilised Chris's youth and appearance.
All this popularity and fame came with a big price, Chris would get mobbed by people anywhere he went and the paparazzi kept a constant watch on him to get some big money shots.
September 1983 Chris Atkins was on the cover of Playgirl magazine, and also posed nude for a pictorial. He posed nude for the magazine again in December of the same year.
Under just a year of entering the industry, Chris had a big fan following and he became a teenage heartthrob.The girls loved him and wanted him, while the guys followed him as an idol and just wanted to be like him.
At the age of 19 years, he starred in his first movie, The Blue Lagoon was set on a tropical island and Chris' entire wardrobe consisted of only a loincloth. He showed off his body and he also did several nude scenes.
In A Night in Heaven (1983) also starring Lesley Ann Warren, Chris plays a hunky college student (Rick) who is very outspoken and overconfident. He moonlights as male stripper in a nightclub to pays his fees. His (older) teacher (Warren), really annoyed with his character, decides to flunk him. She apparently at the same time is going through a slump in her marriage life. Her sister who's in town decides to take her to a night club to cheer her up. When Rick sees his teacher at the club, he gives her a private, very special lap dance and romance flares between the two.
Playing a stripper meant more shirtless scenes and that Chris in his underwear. And audiences were left in disbelief when Warren massages the space between his legs and Atkins slowly pulls down his pants, there is close up view of his smooth butt and semi-erect penis.
In the climax, Atkins is confronted by the wronged husband, who forces him to strip butt naked while holding him at gunpoint. Chris displays amazing acting talent when he turns into a sniveling whiney baby as the jealous husband threatens him. He is then forced to get onto a sinking boat, and a very frightened Atkins obeys.
At the end, the couple talk about their problems and resolve them and the movie's last scene shows the once most popular guy in college, scared and a completely naked Atkins stranded all alone.
Chris gives a mind blowing performance, in the beginning as the smooth talking young stud, Rick Monroe (a.k.a. Ricky The Rocket) and later on, Atkins excels when he is humiliated and left crying and begging for his life.
- Spiritual Warriors (2005) .... King of Sparta
- Caved In (2005) (TV) .... John Palmer
- The Librarians aka Strike Force (2004) .... Ringo
- True Legends of the West (2003) .... Theodore Sutherland
- Quigley (2003) .... Woodward
- 13th Child (2002) .... Ron
- The Color of Water (2002) .... Clay
- The Employee of the Month (2002) .... Bill
- Mending Fences (2002) .... Tom
- The Stoneman (2002) .... Kip Hollings
- Tequila Express (2002) .... David Manning
- Title to Murder (2001) .... Paul Shaughnessy
- Civility (2000) .... John Cade
- Dark Realm (2000) (TV Series)
- Stageghost (2000) .... Matthew Bronson
- Deadly Delusions (1999) .... Sam Gitlin
- Breaking the Silence (1998) .... Jeff
- The Little Unicorn (1998) .... PC Sid Edwards
- Shoot (1998) .... Spence
- Mutual Needs (1997) .... Andrew
- Angel Flight Down (1996) .... Jack Bahr
- Dead Man's Island (1996) .... Roger Prescott
- It's My Party (1996) .... Jack Allen
- Red Shoe Diaries 13: Four on the Floor (1996) .... (segment "Four on the Floor")
- Project Shadowchaser III (1995) .... Snake
- Smoke n Lightnin (1995) .... Lightnin'
- Bandit Goes Country (1994) .... Johnny Bruce
- Guns of Honor (1994) .... Dusty Fog
- Signal One .... Bullet Down Under (1994) .... Martin Bullet
- Trigger Fast (1994) .... Dusty Fog
- Dispara! (1993) .... Spence
- Die Watching (1993) .... Michael Terrence
- Dracula Rising (1993) .... Vlad
- Wet and Wild Summer! (1992) .... Bobby McCain
- Extralarge: Miami Killer (1991) .... Blake
- King's Ransom (1991) .... Spence
- Fatal Charm (1990) .... Adam
- Shakma (1990) .... Sam
- Listen to Me (1989) .... Bruce Arlington
- Mortuary Academy (1988) .... Max Grimm
- El Ataque de los pajaros .... aka Evil Birds (1987) .... Peter
- Secret Weapons (1985) .... Allan Collier
- Dallas (1978) TV Series .... Peter Richards (1983—1984)
- A Night in Heaven (1983) .... Rick Monroe (aka Ricky The Rocket)
- The Pirate Movie (1982) .... Frederic
- Swan Lake (1982) (voice) .... Prince Siegfried
- Child Bride of Short Creek (1981) (TV) .... Isaac King
- The Blue Lagoon (1980) .... Richard Lestrange
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Christopher Atkins